Friday 7 June 2013

HELPERS

Holstein cattle that are brought onto the commons to help to re-create the Lowland Heath habitat that once was everywhere on the commons. 

When a huge proportion of the population worked in the agricultural sector and animals were routinely grazed over the area, there were less trees and I imagine 
a lot of mud in the winter. But also quite a different more 'work a day' feel to the place.
The uninhabited feel is one of the qualities I cherish.

On Wednesday I realised why I went to a lot of trouble to be able to spend more time here. Just walking on the commons is intrinsically valuable and I learn more every time I go. Even day to day as the weather changes you see different things. The time spent with the cattle reminds me how gentle and inquisitive they are. I got a lick and a sniff from these two, who are a bit bolder than the rest.

No comments: