Friday 7 June 2013

Adder searching

Adder Skeleton Horton Country Park
Natural History Museum

Spent a lot of time on Thursday walking quietly around High Meadow, avoiding the cattle, hoping to see an Adder basking in the sun. My only reward was being warmed by the sun and some exercise. When not actually looking for snakes I had previously seen a tail disappear into the grass at the edge of the track next to this meadow, I thought my luck might be in as the sun has returned. Now having read that they hunt mostly 
at dusk, I will try later in the day next time.
In the great little museum in the Horton Country Park I photographed the 'Adder Skeleton' they have there. Although it looks like the skin was left on and either there was a disintegration situation or water got in, to leave this amazing scene.
In an adjacent cabinet the remains of a shrew caught in a plastic drinks bottle shows how we have unwanted effects on animals.

No comments: