Tuesday 10 July 2012

First art walk.

As expected with only a week since the launch of this blog, the start of any publicity and the first walk, there wasn't a great turnout, only me. I rehearsed the route, only being a bit unsure at one point. The weather was kind with only some light rain. I came across a deer quietly drinking in the great pond amongst the shelter of waterlogged trees. I felt like a ghost, only jays acknowledging my presence by flying off, their colourful tails streaking into the woods.


I particularly noticed the routes that badgers and foxes habitually create across the boundaries that we create. The rain had bought out the smells and muddy marks of the animals mostly nocturnal passing.

As the sunshine came back in the afternoon some butterflies started to appear. Now I just have to advertise the walk on the 27th of August, hope you can come along

2 comments:

Tim Ridley said...

I just heard that the unseasonal cold and the rain has hindered the growth of flowers, the survival of butterflies and the cycles of amphibians. I think this is true as I have seen no evidence of frogs or toads on my walks across the common, and only a few butterflies. There is no doubt that we as humans are still effected by the weather. We are lucky that we have waterproof houses and in most places flooding is not critical. But there are places not so far away that are seeing their homes and business threatened by flooding rivers.
Tim Ridley

Tim Ridley said...

The word is spreading slowly about the art walks as I talk to artists I know about the project. Questions I have been asked by artists who are interested in attending have involved duration and the opportunities to make stops to draw or photograph.

I am not interested in teaching, nor am I qualified to teach. More accurately I want to facilitate a state of open mindedness to the possibility of creation, this is something that most artists have reached. Perhaps we could say that that is the difference between an artist and a non artist, a surrendering to the possibility of creation and failure.